Y Combinator Startups Analysis
In this project, I scraped and analysed 1317 Y Combinator Startups and share my insights.
Y Combinator (YC) is one of the top accelerators in the world.
I am interested to find out the secret to build a successful world-class startup. The best way to do that is to analyze these YC alumni startups from an investor's perspective.
I look through
1,317 YC startups over
6,000+ minutes. Some of the questions that I have while looking at these startups are:
- Is this business idea interesting/unique?
- How big is the market and who are the customers?
- How strong is the team?
1,317 YC startups are scrapped from batch S05 to W17. I noticed there are some missing startups. But I can live with that. I've updated the fundings using CrunchBase's data when I was looking through these startups.
Funding categories of YC startups
I have created categories for the amount of money raised to classify the startups. The standard unit for this article will be million (USD).
30%of the YC startups reach Series A
- To be in the top
3%, the startups need to raise over
YC startups statuses
There are in total 3 possible statuses: live, dead or exited (acquired)
- Death rate:
- Acquisition rate:
- Total funds raised by YC startups:
- YC net:
-(1,317 × 0.12) + (0.07 × 4874.115) = $183million
- Average exit:
203 x nco-founders, based on the average exit, with
30% equity = $7million
- It is important to know that average may not be the most accurate picture, but it's the easiest way to show high-level information
YC startups industries
It is quite surprising to see that there are only
107 keywords used by
1,317 startups. It will be lesser than
107 words if you remove meaningless words and verbs.
Top YC startups countries
I listed the top 10 countries of YC startups. The remaining countries have too few YC startups.
- Singapore is doing great, for a country with only
5.6+million population, of which
3.9+million are citizens and pr
- They are: Tech in Asia, Xfers, Saleswhale & AlemHealth
YC startups batches
- I noticed that every 5 batches, the number of fundings will spike. Batch: 07S, 09W, 12S, 14W
Acquired YC startups fundings
- Most acquisitions happened between seed and series B round
- Based on the acquired stage, it seems that most of the founders did not become a millionaire
- This proves that the
203 x nmillionaires that I mentioned earlier are wrong
Acquired YC startups without funding
I noticed these acquired startups do not show the funds they raised. I think there is a high probability that the amount raised is not high, but there might be outliers. Please do your own research.
['Hivy', 'Unwind Me', 'Eventjoy', 'Teleborder', 'RoverRide', 'Crohnology', 'Easel', 'Kippt', 'Knowmia', 'Statwing', 'VoiceGem', 'Carsabi', 'HackPad', 'Hipmob', 'Midnox', 'Pixelapse', 'Socialcam', 'Clutch.io', 'GlassMap', 'Leaky', 'Pagelever', 'Rentobo', 'Snapjoy', 'Stypi', 'TapEngage', 'Zigfu', 'Sendoid', 'TalkBin', 'FanVibe', 'Gantto', 'GazeHawk', 'PadMapper', 'Simperium', 'Cardpool', 'Crocodoc', 'Data Marketplace', 'Echodio', 'Lingt', 'reMail', 'FathomDB', 'Omnisio', 'Clickpass', 'Project Wedding', 'Snipshot', 'Memamp', 'Parakey', 'TextPayMe']
Acquired YC startups locations
- Being present in the USA is important if you wish to sell your startup
- California, specifically Silicon Valley, is the place to sell your startup
- Since most of these startups are located in the USA, there will be biased towards the USA
Dead YC startups fundings
- Most startups died before/during Series A
- The higher the funds, the chance of dying decreases. Or perhaps, it might be prolonging death
Interesting YC startups
- I will invest in
16%of these startups. These startups have average funding of
- Since the sum of all startups I'm not interested in is
$15billion, it means that I am not interested in some of the biggest YC startups
- In general, I prefer to invest in early-stage startups due to lower valuations and higher potential returns
- The number of YC startups increase over the years
- Despite a bigger batch size, the quality of the startups don't drop, based on my inspection
- Interesting batches: 11S, 17S
From the statistics, you see that the probability of becoming rich by starting a company is low. However, extreme result requires extreme effort and risk.
Published: 2017-10-24 | Updated: 2021-04-02